How can students work in Australia, this should probably be the first doubt of those who have this dream, and that’s what this text should help you with. There are several ways to achieve this goal, but the most recommended is still to combine study with work. The current minimum wage in Australia is currently AU$18.83 per hour. With a workload of around 36 hours worked per week, it is possible to conclude that the amount would be AU$2,877 per month R$8,120, at the current exchange rate of R$2.92.
The common working period is 36 hours per week. if you are studying, you should fit the numbers below:
- Students of English Courses or Technical Courses 40 fortnightly hours during the study period and unlimited hours during course vacations
- Students of undergraduate or graduate university courses without research (Bachelors, MBAs, Professional Masters) 40 fortnightly hours during the study period and unlimited hours during course vacations
- Students of postgraduate university courses with research (Research Masters or Doctorates) unlimited working hours throughout the visa period
An important piece of information is that, depending on the place you want to work, they may ask you for a certificate, which can be acquired after taking a short course in the country. Among the most common are:
- Barista: Certificate aimed at preparing coffees in restaurants, cafes, and events
- White card: Safety certificate at work, important for jobs in the construction industry
- RCG (Responsible Conduct of Gambling): Certificate aimed at the gaming and betting market
- RSA (Responsible Service of Alcohol): Certified for the sale of alcoholic beverages in restaurants and bars
- Senior First Aid: First aid certificate, important for the child and elderly care vacancies
Australian territory workers also have their rights, which include international students or those who have the Working Holiday Visa. The rights are basic, but they serve to secure the worker in case of problems. As such, they include receiving a minimum wage, having a healthy and safe work environment, time off, rest, and being able to contest unfair dismissal.
To study and work in Australia, you will need to have a student visa, which you must obtain before embarking on your adventure. This is because the visa is the document that will allow you to enter the country. It is necessary to apply for a student visa which may vary depending on the course you are going to take. The process usually takes 40 days, but it is recommended to do so at least two months before the start date of your course.
If you want to work in Australia, you will need the Tax File Number (TFN). This is a document that will allow you to have a formal job there. Your employer will request your TFN at the time of hiring, and it will be through this that taxes will be deducted from your salary and your guarantee fund. To get the document, you need to go to the government of Australia website. The entire process can be done online, and you will receive your TFN at home. The process takes about 28 days.
Types of Work
For this discussion, it is necessary to understand two types of jobs available in Australia, Part time and Full time, that is, part-time or full-time. As stated above, as a student you can only work part-time during the school term, and full-time during the holidays. It is extremely important to respect this procedure.